A Quick Guide To Glasses Care
If you wear glasses, you know the never-ending struggle to keep them clean of streaks, spots, smudges, and scratches.
There are times when it’s tempting to just reach for the hem of your shirt, but if you want those lenses to last as long as they should, it’s important to clean them the right way. That’s why we’ve put together a list of glasses cleaning dos and don’ts for you to use!
How NOT To Clean Your Glasses
- The number one thing not to do when cleaning lenses is to wipe them with tissues, paper towels, napkins, or any other paper product. No matter how soft these materials are, they are still made of wood pulp and can easily scratch the lenses.
- Avoid wiping your glasses with clothing. Throughout the day, your clothes accumulate dust and grime, and these particles can cause scratches even if the material itself doesn’t.
- Don’t use everyday cleaners. Chemicals like ammonia and window cleaner can wear down the protective coatings on the lenses.
- Don’t set the lenses down unprotected, and especially don’t stuff them into a bag or pocket. This leaves them vulnerable to debris and scratching, not to mention your risk of smudging them when you accidentally pick them up by the lenses instead of the frame.
- Don’t leave the lenses in areas prone to splatter and spray, such as the kitchen or bathroom counter. Things like hair spray and perfume can also damage the coatings on lenses.
Glasses Cleaning Dos
- To get those glasses squeaky clean, use warm water and a drop of dish soap. Gently lather the lenses, frames, and nose pads, then wipe them with a clean and dry handkerchief, cotton cloth, or microfiber cloth.
- Always store your glasses in a hard case. Doing so will help reduce the exposure to debris like airborne dust. If you don’t have a case, make sure to at least store them with the lenses facing upward to protect them from scratching.
- For glasses cleaning on-the-go, you can either buy special solution and keep a dedicated cleaning rag with it, or you can mix your own cleaner by filling a small spritzer bottle with water and then adding one drop of dish soap.
- If the lenses do get scratched, bring your glasses to us so that we can fix them instead of trying to buff out the scratches yourself, which could do more damage.
Here are a few more tips to make your life with glasses easier:
[iframe https://www.youtube.com/embed/0GEDKoVwPzg?rel=0 620 349]
Come To Us With Your Glasses Concerns
Whenever your glasses need more than simple cleaning, don’t hesitate to come to us. Whether the lenses are scratched or cracked, the coatings are wearing off, or the frames themselves are bent or not fitting right, we can either fix them or help you find the perfect new pair.